Monday, March 10, 2008

About this Blog

This blog is about new and old experiences. Some from many years ago. I remember so many things from when I was in school. Some of these things may seem unfamiliar to you if you are a young person. I am not so young so a lot of the things I remember are no longer applicable to today. However, they are very vivid to me and I would like to acquaint you with some of my memories. The first one is titled The Nickle Pickle.

When I was in grade school there was a store right across the street from the school I attended. It was a small grocery store and they had a huge case holding all kinds of penny candy, can you believe a penny? The kids from school could hardly wait for recess to run to that store and spend their pennies. Being allowed to leave the school at recess is another story. Not only did the store have penny candy, they also had Nickle Pickles. These pickles were stored in a large wooden barrel in the vinegar, or brine that they had been cured in. They were very large pickles measuring from 5 to 6 inches long and were dill flavored. They were a nickle each. I never spent my money for the candy, I went for the pickles. The clerk had a large fork and napkins and she would dip in the fork and get your pickle out and hand it to you wrapped in a napkin. I can still taste the delicious dill and sour flavor of those long from the past nickle pickles. We just ate them alone as if they were a candy bar! I think maybe I have a jar of dill pickles in my fridge. I am going to get me one right now!

2 Comments:

At March 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes my lips pucker to think about it!!!

 
At March 14, 2008 at 9:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite childhood afternoon treat was a 10 cent slurpee. Grandpa would pick me up from school and I would dramatically exclaim how hot and thirsty I was! Never uttering a word, he would drive down the street to the store and hand me a dime!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home