Wednesday, November 26, 2008

NUT CRACKERS




Four kinds of nut crackers

I wrote a while back about hunting for nuts in the fall. Now I will write about the hard work of cracking and picking out the nut meats.

There are several kinds of nut crackers. The first one, and easiest to obtain, is just a plain old hammer. You have to watch out for your fingers with the hammer! Also, the hammer usually breaks up the nut into smaller pieces, which is fine for cooking nuts. But if you want larger pieces for eating as a snack then you might want to consider using one of the other kinds of nut crackers which allow you to pick larger pieces.


I use all four kinds of the nut crackers depending on what size the nuts are. Also, for black walnuts or hickory nuts the hammer is almost a must. But for the softer shelled nuts such as pecans, almonds or English walnuts the other crackers are fine.


My nut cracker for this year was my Brother-in-law, Cotton. He picked out all of the pecans they gave me. I really appreciated that. Pecans are my favorite nut anyway. I like the others but pecans are still my favorite.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home