Sunday, November 23, 2008

Rocker from the Past

This little rocker was bought in 1953 by my Dad for my daughter, Lana Kay, for a Christmas present.

In December, 1953, my Dad came to Indiana to visit us. He spent Christmas with us and then we drove back to Texas for a visit. That way, my Dad only had to ride the train one way to come here.


We spent Christmas with him and he bought presents for us while he was here. He bought this rocker for Lana Kay--55 years ago. Of course when our next daughter was born she got to use the rocker when she was little. We have hung on to it for all of these years. Our grandchildren have used it and it has just been a normal decoration in our home for many years. It has never been put away or hidden.


At first it had a little ball on a string that you pulled and it played a song. I can't even remember what song it played now--maybe Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. But some time ago the string broke and it couldn't be played any more. I still have the ball and maybe sometime I can get someone to fix it back with a new string.


I still love having the little rocker sit in the corner of my living room. It is a reminder of those pleasant times of so long ago and of my beautiful Dad who has been gone for a long time.




1 Comments:

At November 24, 2008 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those little reminders of the past mean so much! I have the little green rocker I got for my first birthday in 1955. I went into the furniture store with Mama for her to make a payment. I saw the little rocker and sat down in it and threw a tantrum when they tried to get me out of it. Since it was my birthday, I got the rocker. When my dumb butt brother was about 12 or 13, he sat in it and broke the rockers, so it now has wooden legs on it, but I would love to have the rockers restored to it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home