Friday, March 14, 2008

Does the chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

The words in this title are also the words of a very old song. The words bring back memories of when I was a child and sometimes saved my gum for the next day. Of course back in those days, we didn't have a lot of money so we didn't have gum on hand all the time. We got gum, maybe, once a week, if we were lucky. These days I have gum in my purse or in the cabinet most of the time, although I seldom chew it anymore. It isn't as much fun as it used to be!

Many times I didn't want to throw my gum away when I was through with it for the time being so I would stick it, maybe not on the bedpost, but I would put it at the handiest spot I could find. That might have been on the top of a vase or on the top of the sugar bowl lid or any other unique place I could find for it. Then the next day I would retrieve it and continue with my chewing. When I got through with it, believe me, it had lost its flavor!

I remember my Mother used to argue with me about what kind of gum I should buy. I loved Dentyne and always wanted to buy it but because the package was smaller than all of the other packages she would say let's get Spearmint, Juicy Fruit or Doublemint, they are bigger. So most of the time she won and we would get the kind she suggested.

The bubble gum you got back in those days was two or three times bigger than what you get nowadays. It cost a penny then and now I am not sure what its price is but I can assure you it is not a penny! I don't even want to talk about the price of a package of Wrigley's gum. Not big sums but enough to make my old fashioned budget minded head think twice.

Sometimes one of us kids would sneak to bed with a wad of gum in our mouth. If our mother caught us she would make us remove it, but once in a while we would get by with it and then the next morning she would have to cut the gum out of our hair--not a pleasant job!

How I long for the good old days when Gum chewing was so much fun and its cost was so much cheaper!

2 Comments:

At March 14, 2008 at 6:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother preferred her gum AFTER it had been on the bedpost overnight. She liked it after the sweetness was chewed out of it. I never understood that.

 
At March 14, 2008 at 9:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You blog reminds me so much of mama....she always stuck her doublemint gun on top of a little glass lady that sat on her dresser. She would chew that same gum for days!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home