Saturday, November 15, 2008

More on Our Weird Minds



Following along the thoughts of yesterday's post I will write today about things that make your mind go blank.


I have several things that I cannot get to stay in my mind, names of people and places that for some reason will not stick in my mind.


One name I can never remember is the name of the doctor who took off my cataracts. It is a simple name and I can see no reason for not remembering it. I drive by his office almost every time I go anywhere. Once I decided that every time I drove by I would look at his building and say his name. I did that for some time and I finally got so that I could remember it each time I went by. Then for some reason I stopped doing that and soon, within a matter of a few weeks, I again could not remember his name. Even now I cannot remember his name and I will have to look it up in the phone book to tell you!


Another name I have trouble remembering is Gene Roden, the funeral director in Paris, Texas. Can a name be any simpler than Gene Roden? Yet I never can remember it. My Mom and Dad and my sister were buried from that funeral home and I can never remember that name.


I also had a teacher when I was working on my degree back in 1975 that I dearly loved. She was my favorite teacher but I cannot to this day remember her name without looking it up.


Joplin, Missouri, is another name I can't remember without looking it up. We have driven through Joplin and stayed there many nights at a Motel 6. Joplin is not such an unusual name to remember, do you think? However, I never can remember it .


Can you explain to me why I have these unusual quirks in my mind? I really would like to understand the way my mind works. I am sure a psychologist or a psychiatrist might be able to tell me why I can't remember these things, but he would charge an ungodly price to tell me! So I guess I will just go along wondering about it until I die!

1 Comments:

At November 16, 2008 at 7:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And why is it that we can remember with clarity incidents that happened 50 years ago, but we can't remember what we ate for supper last night?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home