Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Remember Jewel Tea?





Autumn Leaf bowl set











The Jewel Tea man


Back many years ago, probably in the forties and fifties, and maybe years before that,the Jewel Tea Company came around to people's doors selling grocery products including some kinds of tea.


I never bought much from them. I hated dealing with salesmen at my door. However, I did venture to buy a few things. They had a mince meat that I really liked. I usually bought some of that. My main complaint was that their groceries were much more expensive than at other stores.


I think the main draw to Jewel Tea was the dishes that they had. I once had a set of the bowls like the one in the picture above. If I still had it now, I could probably be in the mint! I had that set for a long time. I think one got broken and the others just somehow got away from me through time. The name of the pattern was Autumn Leaf.


Jewel Tea started in Chicago, Illinois in 1889 with one man and his horse and wagon. It grew to a huge company over the years. It ceased operations under that name in 1981. because of declining sales.


As far as I know there is not a single Jewel Tea salesman that has survived to this day. However, many of the autumn leaf dishes are being sold everywhere-- at antique stores, at garage sales and at other speciality stores.

4 Comments:

At April 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I remember grandma having some of those dishes... did the Jewel Tea salesmen make this far south? nh

 
At April 23, 2009 at 11:28 AM , Anonymous kyra lafain said...

I think they did work in the south also. However, I was already in Indiana when I bought from them.

 
At April 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Jewel tea pitcher in the autumn leaves pattern. Grandma did have some of those dishes.

 
At July 25, 2021 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Doc said...

My grandma had those exact same dishes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home