Friday, April 17, 2009

The Simple Things

Apple Crate

Years ago when I was in grade school, I went with a girlfriend to her house after school.


She took me to her room and showed me an apple crate that her Dad had put on the wall for her to store her books and homework in. I was so impressed about that apple crate that when I went home I was determined that my Dad would put one up for me.


Actually, my Dad was not all that impressed about it! First of all we didn't have an apple crate on hand and we really didn't know where to get one. Second of all I think that he really didn't want to mess up the wall with an old apple crate. So I bugged my Dad about it for a while and then finally I gave up on the idea of having an apple crate book shelf.


Now that I look back, I can't see why I was so impressed about it. It was just a plain old wooden box, not even painted and was just old wood that was rough and crude looking. But for some reason I was really thrilled about having one on the wall in my room.


In time I finally forgot the idea and didn't mention it to my Dad anymore. I think that was what he was waiting for!


Now I have nicely finished shelves in my house for my books and apple crates never enter my mind!




1 Comments:

At April 18, 2009 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny the things that appeal to you? My in-box for my home office is an old metal Lamar Creamery Milk Crate. A friend of mine knew I wanted one, and she had two, so she gave me one of hers. It's not pretty, but it serves its purpose and it reminds me of old times.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home