Thursday, April 16, 2009

What Happened to all of the Variety Shows?



















I use to love all of the variety shows that were on TV. There was Dean Martin, Dinah Shore, Glen Campbell, The Statler Brothers, The Barbara Mandrell show, The Ed Sullivan Show, The Bob Hope Show, The Andy Williams Show, Donnie and Marie and so many others that I can't name them all here.


Almost every night of the week one of them was on. They would have guests on so you really got to see many others besides the host of the show. Usually, they would have someone who sang, someone who did magic tricks, sometimes a ventriloquist, dancers and many other interesting guests.


Gradually, all of them disappeared and now I cannot think of a single variety show that is on. They don't even rerun any of them. What happened? For a while some did have reruns but now there aren't even any reruns that I know of.



Stupid shows like the Amazing Race, The Survivors, and other similar shows have taken over. I never watch any of those.


I loved all of the Variety shows and really wish they would come back. Part of the problem is that there are no really good people to take the place of the old stars of those shows. Younger people have brought in their kind of shows and music and no one is fighting to get our old shows back.


I certainly don't know how to bring them back so I guess I have to figure they-- the young people-- have won!

2 Comments:

At April 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I wish they would bring them back. I loved the Dean Martin show and Carol Burnett was also one of my favorites. I also always enjoyed Sonny and Cher, remember that one? nh

 
At April 17, 2009 at 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, too. Ed Sullivan was our Sunday night staple. I'll never forget when the Beatles came to America and were on his show. And I loved Senor Wencas and Topo Gigio. I can still hear mama laughing at Dean Martin the night he came out on his show, hopped atop the piano, and began singing, "The first leon . . . somebody's holding the cue card backwards!" They just don't make stars like they used to!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home