Friday, February 20, 2009

Church Revivals






Years ago when I was just a kid I remember our church, and other churches too, having revivals. A church would locate a vacant lot, or sometimes if they had space on their church lot, and they would pitch a huge tent and have church meetings. Usually the meetings would be every night for about a week or sometimes two weeks. They would have a stage set up and move in pianos and chairs for the choir and have a regular church service out side.



I think they thought that this would revive peoples religion. Sometimes they would have guest preachers come and speak and they might also have musicians present special songs and programs.



We did not go to the revivals every night but usually we would go a couple of nights. It wasn't always easy to get there because we didn't have a car a lot of the time.



I have not seen a revival advertised in years I am sure that some churches, especially the Baptists and other southern churches, still have them. I am now a Lutheran and our church has never had a revival since I have been a member. The same with Wednesday night prayer meetings. We always had prayer meetings on Wednesday night when I was a kid. I think some churches still do. They may be called midweek meetings or some other name but they do have them on Wednesdays at some churches.



Maybe we need to go back to more church meetings. It might make the world a little better. However, I doubt that many people would go because the world has become so busy that they wouldn't have time for it! We do need something to revive us from all of the crime, and sin going on in these times!

1 Comments:

At February 21, 2009 at 6:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in the 1930'a, there was a big revival in Paris. Many of the churches cooperated. They filled the tent to overflowing every night for 6 weeks, and so many people were saved that some of the churches had to add on to their buildings to accommodate the resulting crowds. I agree! We need that today -- probably a lot more than they did in the 30's!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home