Saturday, September 5, 2009

Clock


The clock in the picture above is over 100 years old. It belonged to Ford's Mother and Dad back when he was just a kid. They bought it used and I have no idea how old it was then. Anyway, Ford was born in 1919 and the clock is older than that.

When Ford's Mother died we became the owners of the clock. It was not working at that time. We took it to a repairman and had it fixed. It ran for quite a few years but eventually the spring broke in it and it no longer ran. We never had it repaired again but bought a new mantle clock, or our kids bought one for us for a Christmas gift.

The clock has sat on a dresser in our back bedroom for about 25 years or so. I often think about taking it in for repairs again but have never actually done it. I have no idea of the value of the clock. It was made by the Sessions Clock Company at Forestville, Connecticut. It has sentimental value to me because it was Ford's clock after his Mother died. He loved that clock. It needs to be wound about once a week with two key holes. The original key is still with it. It strikes on the hour whatever the time and on the half hour with one strike.

Maybe one day my kids will decide to have it repaired. I would love to know how many ticks that clock has made!

2 Comments:

At September 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I had lost your blog address but just got it again from Bob and Janet. I looked in today and saw this clock. Boy, did memories come flying back! I love old clocks and do remember that one that Grandma and Grandpa Ford had.
Such fun to read your blog. I don't have one. Guess I don't know what I would say.
Lota Rose

 
At September 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM , Anonymous kyra lafain said...

I am glad that you like my blog. I have had so much fun writing them. However, I am running out of ideas. I am going to Texas next Tuesday so I will not be writing any while I am gone, for two weeks. I hope to come up with more ideas while I am on vacation. Nice to hear from you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home