Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mimosa Trees






























Mimosa Trees



The Mimosa tree is really a beautiful tree. I saw the first one many years ago in Texas at my sister's house. She had one in her yard.



Later, I saw some trees in a yard at the corner of Pine Bluff and Fitzhugh in Paris when we were out driving. I stopped to ask about the trees, how to care for them and etc. The lady there told me that she had several starts of the trees in her shed and that she would give me one, or two if I wanted them. I jumped at the offer and so we brought them home to Indiana and planted then in the front yard.



They lived for a few years but never once bloomed. I figured it was because the weather was too cold here for them to grow right. However, I saw on Google that they do live and bloom in many northern states. But I suppose I was too impatient and we dug them up and discarded them after about three years.



The flowers on them are beautiful. On Google I read that many people consider them weeds and hate them; others love them and want to plant them in their yard.



They are a fast growing and short lived tree, requiring little care other than occasional pruning.



I do not have a single tree in my yard at this time. After a bad experience with birds roosting in our trees at our last house we decided that we wanted no trees when we bought this house. So we have no trees but would you believe that we still have tons of leaves to rake up in the fall--our neighbors!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home