Friday, August 28, 2009

OIL Cloth



.
























Many years ago most people used oil cloth to cover their tables. That was before they made tables with formica tops or tables with nice finished wood tops. Oil cloth was cheap and it made a pretty covering for the table. The red and white checkered oil cloth pictured above was a favorite of mine.



We also used oil cloth to put on our tables when we camped. Most camp tables were just bare ugly wood so the oil cloth made it look better as well as making it cleaner to eat on.



I remember shopping for a new oil cloth and seeing the long rolls of it hanging on the walls. It came by the yard and was about a yard wide. So you got a 36x36 inch piece of cloth if you bought a yard. That covered most tables. If you needed a wider cloth they also had wider widths of it.



My mother mostly always used oil cloth until later years when she got a table top that was an enameled one and she didn't need a cloth.

I had a big one for our camping gear and it lasted us for many years since we only used it for camping.



Now I have a formica table top and I never use any kind of cover for it. It is so easy to wipe clean and looks nicer than a cloth of any kind. But sometimes I sort of have fantasy memories of how I loved my old camping Oil cloth!

1 Comments:

At August 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brings back memories of summer meals at the big old table on Grandma's screened in porch.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home