Monday, September 7, 2009

Our 1951 Chevy

Our 1951 Chevrolet


This Chevy was the third car we had after Ford got out of the service in 1946. We first had an old 1929 Model A Ford, then we advanced to a 1946 Chevrolet. Then in 1951 we really stepped up and got a brand new 1951 Chevy Sport Coupe!


I have not kept track of all of the cars we have owned but we have always bought brand new ones as our main car since the 1951 Chevy. We really felt spiffy driving that car around!


Sadly, now my car is 15 years old. But it never gives me one bit of trouble. A few years ago I had to buy a new battery but I've never had any trouble with the car itself. As long as that car percolates I will never buy a new one again. I don't go that much to need a new car. Would you believe that my van--my present car--has about 35,000 miles on it? Everyone can't believe it when I tell them that. For a 15 year old car it is sort of unbelievable. It is in my garage all the time and Tony, my son-in-law, changes the oil for me about once a year, It never has the limit of miles reached but he changes it anyway.


I can still remember the swell feeling I had when I drove that 1951 Chevy around back in those olden days. And the best part is that we didn't pay a huge amount for it. Of course it seemed a lot then. I can't remember what a new car cost back then but it was probably less than a thousand dollars. Now a new car costs more than we paid for our first home over on Reed Street--in fact about three times that!
I am very happy with my old car. I might add that Lana Kay puts a lot of those miles on it when she is here every summer! It is just a car driven by a little old lady to go get groceries and do the inevitable chores I have all the time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home