Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Pongee Dress




When I was just a little kid I had a dress that was made of pongee. Pongee is a thin airy material which my mother thought was fabulous. I really didn't think it was so great but she did so I had at least one dress made of it. The dress in the picture was not my dress but it was similar. In the picture of me the dress may be pongee--I can't be sure but it looks like what I remember as my pongee dress. By the way, my shoes are Mary Janes.

My mother also liked the materials of dimity and voile which were also thin, light materials. My dresses were identified by the names of the materials; such as my voile dress or my dimity dress or my pongee dress. Colors were never mentioned, just the material. Back in those days girls always wore dresses, never pants or slacks. Even for play we wore dresses.


Nowadays, I hardly ever wear a dress. Maybe for a wedding, funeral or church but never for everyday wear. I haven't had a pongee dress, Roman sandals or Mary Janes for hundreds of years! By the way, do I look fat?


2 Comments:

At March 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not fat -- pleasingly plump.

 
At January 23, 2014 at 2:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because my older sister had a pongee dress about 1924, I was googling the fabric - thought it was silk, but wasn't sure. Enjoyed the picture. And I had Roman sandals also.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home