Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chocolate Cake from Scratch




Did you know, or maybe you have forgotten, that you can make a cake without using a cake mix? I have not made a cake from scratch for years .
This past weekend I had the kids here for lunch. We ordered pizza but I made the cake as a dessert. I looked and I had no cake mix on hand. Since I did not want to get out in the icy, snowy weather and go to the store I decided to look up an old recipe that I used years ago to make a chocolate cake. It is called a Watkins cocoa cake. It was put out by the Watkins Company which was a big deal at one time but I don't know if they even exist any more. Watkins sold quite a line of flavorings and spices. I think vanilla flavoring was their main thing. I remembered that the cake was a very good one and we used to eat quite a few of them.
Anyway, I dug out my sifter, mixing bowl, flour, sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and eggs and I began doing my thing. It has been so long since I sifted flour that I had almost forgotten how. After all that I remember why I use bought cake mixes now.
My cake turned out as good as it used to be and about half of it was eaten. I am now working on the other half by myself!
I cannot calculate the price of my made from scratch cake but I am sure it was cheaper than a bought cake mix. But I think I will pay the extra next time and save myself some work!

1 Comments:

At February 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy that looks good!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home