Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Shotgun

I was really a wild one at the age of three! My mother had been asked to sing with a quartet at a funeral. My dad drove her there and was going to wait in the car with me while she sang. She got out of the car and went in. I decided that I wanted to go in also. My dad said I couldn't go in and that I had to stay in the car with him. I was adamant and was ready to fight him to let me go.

Finally, I realized that I was not going to sway him so I said "If I had a shotgun I would shoot you." My dad related to my mother what I had said when she came back to the car. She told him he should have swatted me a good one on the behind. My dad never spanked me in my life--that was my mother's territory. Anyway, that day I found out that I didn't always get my way about things.

2 Comments:

At March 27, 2008 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe not always but most of the time!!

 
At March 29, 2008 at 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma was the disciplinarian -- the worst discipline I ever received from Grandpa was, "Now I wish you hadn't gone and done that!"

I guess Grandma mellowed some by the time grandchildren came along, though. I remember a similar incident to the one you relate, except this one involved me and my father. We were sitting at the dinner table (that's the noon meal -- you eat supper in the evening) one day when I was about five or six. I kept getting up and running around. My father very sternly said, "You get in that chair and you don't get up again!" We were having my favorite for dessert -- Grandma's apple pie. I had a piece on my plate, and I looked at my father with daggers in my eyes and said, "I wish I could throw this pie right in your face!" Grandma about fell out of her chair laughing, which just made my father even madder!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home