Monday, June 30, 2008

Our Good Dog, Buddy

Buddy and Gene

As bad as our Chihuahua was, we did have a good dog. He was a Basset plus Beagle mix. He was a dog that our daughter's boyfriend gave her for a Christmas present.

He loved everyone and he never met a stranger. When we first got Buddy , however, the Chihuahua did not like him and they didn't get along very well. After a few days I decided that it was not going to work out with two dogs so I took Buddy to the animal shelter, with my daughter's permission, one Friday afternoon. She was not pleased with doing that but she followed my advice and allowed me to take him.

I felt terrible all weekend, as if I had condemned my best friend to death! So on Monday morning I was right back at the animal shelter and asked for Buddy back. Of course the animal shelter had rules and I had to pay the adoption fee to get him back even though he was my dog. But I happily paid the fee and took Buddy back home. He was secure in our home for the rest of his life.

Eventually, our daughter left home and of course, she left Buddy with us. By then I was all wrapped up in Buddy and he was my dog.

We had both Buddy and Mickey for quite a few years and they did finally get used to each other and all was well. In the end both dogs had to be euthanized within a year of each other. After that I declared that I would never have another pet. It is too hard when you have to lose them.

2 Comments:

At June 30, 2008 at 4:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As ornery as Mickey was, Buddy was that sweet. Don't dogs make our lives a whole lot richer? I've often said that when I get to heaven, I want God to put me in charge of the kennel!

 
At June 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have only good things to say about Buddy!! I am positive he is in dog heaven. As for Mick....I'm not so sure!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home