Monday, June 23, 2008

Healthy Snacks

I can remember when I was a child my Mother always had dried fruits in a cabinet in the pantry. She would have dried apples, dried peaches, dried apricots. prunes and raisins. Any time I was hungry for a snack I would help myself to one or the other of those items. They were a very chewy, juicy and delicious snack. At that time they were very cheap snacks. Now you have to be well off to be able to pay for them.


My Mother always made fried pies with them or just cooked them for a side dish for a dessert. I loved the fried pies she made. She would roll out a round of pie dough and then put a dollop of the cooked dried fruit on to the center of the round. She then folded the round of dough over and sealed the edges. Sometimes she just baked them in the oven. Other times she would fry them in a skillet. I liked them either way. Baked would have been the healthier way to make them. However, my Mother was not so concerned with the healthy way as she was with the easiest or quickest way to make them! Healthy eating was not a big issue back then--at least not with most people.


I just saw an ad for dried apricots at Walgreens of $1.00 for an 8 ounce package. That is a pretty good price in this day and age. I may try to get over there for a couple of packages. By the time I add on the price of my gas to drive there it may not be such a good deal after all! I think the price of prunes and raisins are more in line with most people's budgets, but the peaches, apricots and apples are another story.


Now, most kids look for cookies, candy, ice cream and other sweet things for snacks. The dried fruits are sweet also but it is a natural sweet which is better for you and they are fruits.

2 Comments:

At June 23, 2008 at 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy -- what I wouldn't give for one of Grandma's fried apricot pies right now!

 
At June 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved her fried pies....no one elses can compare! Do you know what else I loved? Her potato burgers! Do you remember them? She made the best hamburgers too....how I miss her good cooking! nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home