Sunday, June 22, 2008

Daddy--The Democrat

My Dad was a staunch Democrat. He believed in everyone voting and he always did.

Many years ago Paris used to have many politicians visit and they usually spoke to the public at Bywater's Park. It was about a block south of the main square across from the public library. I can remember many times being with my Dad and my Mom when they went to Bywater's Park to listen to some politician speak. I can not remember any specific name of a politician that was there, that was many years ago, but I am sure many of the famous ones must have visited there.

Bywater's Park is still in Paris but I am not sure what it is mainly used for now because I don't live there anymore. It is a beautiful little park with flowers and greenery. I usually drive past it every time I visit Paris. I can still visualize my Dad and Mom and my family standing around listening to the political speeches of the famous persons of that time. Of course I was a child and I was not very politically oriented but I did enjoy the pomp and excitement of the crowds.

My Dad died still a Democrat but I think he did sort of change to the policy of voting for the man instead of the party.

1 Comments:

At June 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Grandpa was always a little ashamed of me because I was a Republican. We sometimes had some pretty spirited political debates. I one time asked him why he was a Democrat, and he thought about it and said, "Because my daddy said to always vote Democrat, and you'd be OK." I think maybe that was a holdover from Reconstruction days following the Civil War when the federal government took over the Confederate states. Another time Grandpa told me he was a Democrat because the Democrats were for the "little man." When I asked him in what way Democrats were for the "little man," he perfectly outlined for me the then-current Republican platform. So I think Grandpa was really a Republican -- he just didn't know it! By the way, do you remember that there was one election Grandpa did not vote in? It was 1960 -- he would not vote for a Republican, and he would not vote for a Catholic, so neither Nixon nor Kennedy received his vote.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home