Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My First Perm

When I was around 12 or 13 I got my first permanent. My natural hair was as straight as a ruler! I went alone to the beauty shop. I sat through all the uncomfortable stages of a perm that you use to have to endure. The rolling up tightly of every hair on my head; the application of the waving solution which was breathtaking--literally; and then the heat rods that they used to bake your hair. I can remember each pain filled moment of the whole procedure. But I was excited that I was going to have curly hair.

Nowadays, a perm is much more easily acquired. Just a lightly rolled curler is put in your hair, then a waving solution which doesn't smell good but does not have the the strong breathtaking odor of the old time waving solution. Thankfully, they did away with the heat rods which baked your hair.Then you just wear your curlers for about a half hour, take them out and rinse with the neutralizer and your perm is in. Much, much simpler and quicker than the old way!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (as the saying goes) the beauty operator sort of took advantage of me since I had never had a perm and since my Mother was not with me. She put the perm in OK but she skipped the rest of the job--she did not set my hair on curlers and dry it for the final coiffure. That was before curling irons were used to finish a hairdo. So I left the beauty shop with a wet head and tiny ringlets of newly permed hair. I was none the wiser since I didn't know that the end set was normally included with the price of a perm!

However, the perm was a good one and lasted for several months and was an improvement of my looks. These days, I no longer go to the beauty shop for perms. I use Toni home perms. Much simpler and MUCH CHEAPER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home