Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Chicken Foot


When I was just a little kid, I can remember my Mother making chicken and dumplings. She would cook a big pot of chicken pieces to make a lot of broth. When the chicken was done she would make the dumplings and put them in the broth to cook. She mostly used the bony pieces of chicken such as the neck, wings, back and ribs. She also cleaned the chicken foot part of the leg and used it. The scaly skin on the foot could be scraped off and the the toe claws cut off and you would have a skinny piece of chicken that would not have much meat on it but it did add to the flavor for the broth.


I googled chicken foot and found a recipe for chicken foot soup. It was kind of funny. It said dry between the toes after you wash the feet. As I think back on it it was kind of strange that my Mother did that! My sister thinks it is a lot more than strange!


I don't think anyone ever ate the foot but my sister was repulsed by the sight of the foot in the dish and she would not eat any of it. I think my Mother finally started taking out the feet before she put the dish on the table. It really never bothered me. If you eat the liver, gizzard and neck etc. what is the difference? It is all sickening when it is raw! But the dumplings are so delicious!

3 Comments:

At July 29, 2008 at 12:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sister hasn't changed a bit when it comes to chicken feet!! I do not want any part of them! I would probably pull a bigger fit now then when I was a kid if I saw a chicken foot on the table! I don't even like to look at your picture!

 
At July 29, 2008 at 1:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pig's feet, chicken feet, beef tongue, brains -- I don't think I want any of that stuff! I don't like the gizzard or the neck of the chicken, either, but I do like the liver.

 
At July 29, 2008 at 3:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm...makes me want a big bowl of Grandma's chicken and dumplings! I don't ever remember seeing a foot in them though. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home