Sunday, July 27, 2008

It's Hot!



Back years ago when I was just a kid I can remember my Mother and my Dad both pouring their coffee into the saucer to cool it. That was a no, no as far as etiquette was concerned!

The amazing part of it was that they also would pick up the filled saucer and drink from it--without spilling a drop! I would never try to pick up a saucer filled with coffee to drink from it. They had it mastered to a Tee.


My Aunt Sarah was visiting us once and she saw them do that and she laughed and said, "My, do you still saucer your Coffee?" She seemed shocked. She had two highfalutin daughters who had turned her into somewhat of a High Brow.


Of course they mostly did this at home but I do remember once when my Dad rode back to Texas after a visit with us in Indiana. We had stopped for a breakfast after a night in a motel and my Dad did pour his coffee into his saucer in the restaurant. I was somewhat embarrassed but of course I never said a word to him about it. I imagine restaurant people see all sorts of faux pas from their customers. Since he had always done that at home I doubt if he even had the first thought that it was a no, no. At least his coffee got cooled!

1 Comments:

At July 27, 2008 at 8:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was little and stayed with Grandma and Grandpa, I would get up early to have breakfast with them before Grandpa went to work. Grandma had some little mugs, and she would let me have coffee with them -- of course, it was mostly milk, but I didn't know the difference. And she would pour my coffee into the saucer, too. However, Grandma was no dummy -- she poured mine back in the cup before she let me have it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home