Friday, July 25, 2008

Hard Times!

We never had a lot of money when I was a child. However, my Mom and Dad were good managers of what little money we had.


My Mom always, somehow, managed to get what she wanted for the house--she did like to spend money. Back then you could buy things with a very small down payment and very small monthly or maybe weekly payments.



I remember my Mother once bought a bedroom suit on time. She paid a small payment to start with and then the furniture store let her pay whatever she wanted each month on the balance. Of course, you must remember that back then bedroom suits did not cost an arm and a leg as they do now. It seems to me, if I remember right, that the total cost of it was maybe $150 or near that.


I remember many months going to make the payment for her with as little as one dollar or maybe two dollars. I also think that back then they did not charge any interest on your purchase. It might have taken her a year or more to pay the bill off but she eventually did get it paid. Sometimes if she came up with extra money she would make a bigger payment. She always made sure not to miss payments and I think the store manager appreciated that. I can't see how they made money with that kind of business but I am sure they did.


If we could not have bought things that way we would not have had many of our possessions. We bought our groceries the same way. My Mom would get whatever she wanted and we had a running grocery bill. She paid so much each month when my Dad got his check. We always paid the bill in full whenever we could.


I am so thankful that nowadays I am not in the kind of financial position that they were. I pay for my things when I buy them, or I don't buy them! I hate paying out money for interest--which you do now have to pay--it is like throwing money away!

1 Comments:

At July 25, 2008 at 1:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess because they had to work so hard for what they had, Grandma was always very proud of her possessions. She never had a fancy house or expensive furniture, but she was very grateful for what she did have. The generation coming up today could certainly take some lessons from her!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home