Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Five Cent Cantaloupes!


Can you believe five cent cantaloupes? It is true, back in the late thirties and early forties we could buy cantaloupes for as little as five cents each. There was a farmer who lived very near us who raised cantaloupes and watermelons and he sold them to surrounding neighbors for that itsy bitsy amount!



You could also go to our Market Square and buy them cheap but not quite that cheap. These were not scrawny, little melons but nice sized and very fresh--just picked, in fact!



My family loved cantaloupes and watermelons and we ate a lot of them. About every three or four days the farmer would have another batch of fresh picked melons for sale. We also bought a lot of other produce from him; black eyed peas, okra, green beans. peaches and other fruits.



I would be thrilled to pieces to have a farmer live near me now (even if the prices were higher than the olden time's-- but not too much!) and I could get fresh veggies and fruits from him!

2 Comments:

At July 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to have a nearby farmer, too. I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room in the spring, and this lady was telling me about all the produce they were raising and selling. My mouth was watering and I thought, "Oh boy! I'll find out where she lives and she just got a new customer!" Unfortunately, she lived in Mt. Vernon TX -- too far for me to drive for fresh produce!

 
At July 23, 2008 at 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a cantaloupe the other day....a very small one, which cost $2.50. Well, it was awful and had to be thrown out! So, I agree, I would love to have some of those wonderful cantaloupes you wrote about. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home