Thursday, July 24, 2008

My Dad, the Artist!



When I was just a tiny tot my Dad worked as a night watchman for the Texas State Highway Department. He really didn't have much work to do but he just had to be there. So he could read or do anything he wanted on his work hours.



He had quite a few magazines available to read. He started picking pretty pictures out and making copies of them. He would bring home the next morning the picture he did the night before. Sometimes he would use carbon paper and trace the picture and then he would use colored pencils and color the pictures.


I can distinctly remember one Norman Rockwell picture he did. It was of a small boy pulling on a blanket with a dog in the picture. I have seen that picture many times since then. He also did one of a lady, I think it was a Pond's advertisement, who had long beautiful hair. He just picked out whatever hit his fancy at the time.


My Mom and I would be eagerly waiting every morning when he got home to see what new picture he brought home for us to look at and admire.



We had the collection of all his pictures for a long time after that.I really don't know what became of them. I would be happy to see them again if they are still around. I think they probably got destroyed or lost sometime through the years. My Dad really was not an artist, he just liked to copy the pictures and color them. He knew my Mom and I got a lot of enjoyment out of seeing the pictures and it gave him something to occupy his long hours while he night watched.

5 Comments:

At July 24, 2008 at 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have them! They are put in a safe place somewhere...but I have them. I will be happy to send you copies of them. They have been altered somewhat because mama put them in one of those sticky photo albums one time and the sticky lines eventually bled through the pictures. I never knew he traced them though...I always thought he had drawn them. Regardless, they're very good! nh

 
At July 24, 2008 at 2:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures weren't traced. They were hand drawn by daddy.

 
At July 24, 2008 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of them were traced because I remember Mama saying they were. He probably did draw some of them. Anyway, I would love to have a copy of them. Maybe you could e mail them. ab

 
At July 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma told me they were traced, and you can see the carbon lines on some of them. But they are wonderful pictures.

 
At July 25, 2008 at 12:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to find them first....but I will get them to you. The up-coming weeks will be a little busy, but by the end of August, I should be able to locate them and either scan them and e-mail them or copy them and drop them in the snail mail. Seems like I tried to scan them once before and they didn't scan very well, but we have a new copier at work...perhaps it will do better. nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home