Friday, July 18, 2008

Insurance payments

Back when I was a kid (Where have you heard that before?), my Mother would put the payments for the insurance man in an envelope stuck by the front door. That way she didn't have to watch for him or worry about missing his collection.


We always carried life insurance on our family in those days. Not big policies but at least enough to take care of a burial if we ever needed it. I think about the most she ever paid a week was less than a dollar.


Can you imagine putting your insurance payments on the front door nowadays? It would probably be snitched away quickly by kids or maybe even adults. My Mother never even thought about anyone taking the money when she put it out for the insurance man and they never did. There were dishonest people in those days but thefts were not as bold and as rampant as they are now.


I have my door locked all the time when I am at home, as well as when I am not home. And I do not leave anything I value unlocked outside my home. It is true that payment for insurance now is a lot more than it would have been in that time. But the money was just as important then as it is now even though it was a small amount.


I used to have two ceramic birds perched on my bird bath for about 29 years until about two years ago, when suddenly, they were gone. I do not know who took them. I know that my neighbors had company the day before and I did see the kids playing in my yard but I cannot say they took the birds. I can't imagine that if they did that the parents wouldn't have made the kids return them!


Now I write checks for all of my insurance payments and hope that they get cashed by the rightful person. I would never dream of sticking money on my front door!

1 Comments:

At July 18, 2008 at 1:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a friend who had one of those little garden gnomes in her flowerbed. It had some kind of distinguishing mark on it, but I can't remember what it was. At any rate, it disappeared one weekend. A few weeks later, one of her friends went to a party at one of her friend's homes, and there on the patio was the garden gnome. She asked the hostess where she had gotten it, and she told her her teenage son had given it to her a couple of weeks prior. So the lady who recognized it told the hostess who it belonged to, and the gnome went home!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home