Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cedar Pencils

Back years ago when I was in elementary school, many kids used cedar pencils. I have used them also but I never liked them very well. They were a hard leaded pencil and didn't write a dark line. However they were cheaper than the other kinds of pencils.


Cedar pencils were about a penny a piece and other pencils were more, I can't remember exactly how much more. The cedar pencils did not have a big eraser on the end like other pencils. They just had a tiny little point of an eraser at the top which didn't last very long.


They did smell good and served their purpose. You can still order cedar pencils on line. I brought up Google and there were places that had forms for ordering them on line.


Nowadays people mostly use pens or mechanical pencils. I still like to have a pencil handy for jotting down notes and memos but I do not have any cedar pencils in my possession now. I like the number 2 yellow pencils and I think most people do like those. Cedar pencils are a dying breed and if you used one you would understand why! Most people who have them have them for old time's sake.

1 Comments:

At July 17, 2008 at 1:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That brings back memories of the first day of school -- I was always so excited with my brand new pack of #2 pencils with pristine erasers, Bic pens, map colors, a 6" wooden ruler, a protractor and compass, a 3-ring notebook, and all that lovely fresh white notebook paper. Even now, I sometimes go to Office Max just to browse. One of my favorite movie lines if from "You've Got Mail." The Tom Hanks character, Joe Fox, talks in an email about how much he loves the fall season in New York, and he mentions a "bouquet of #2 pencils."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home