Monday, July 14, 2008

Our Model T car

This was not our car but it is similar.







When I was about 4 or 5 years old my Dad bought a model T Ford. Of course it was not brand new but was a few years old. It was probably one of the first cars made back in that day.

I remember how noisy it was when he started it up. He also had to hand crank it a lot of the time. He didn't know a lot about working on the car-- hardly anyone did-- but he managed to keep it running most of the time.

There was a little ledge up in the back window that was barely big enough for me to lie on when we went somewhere in the car. I remember how much fun it was to lie on that ledge and see everything we went past.

We had the car for a few years and then my Dad sold it. I don't remember why, probably because it had things go wrong and he didn't have the money to get them fixed. Anyway, then for several years we had no car and we walked everywhere we went (Can you imagine walking everywhere you go nowadays?).

My Dad never had a brand new car but he did later on get a better car so they could have a way to go get groceries and run other errands. Wonder if they have new cars in Heaven? I hope so and that my Dad has one of the best!

2 Comments:

At July 14, 2008 at 5:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought of grandma and grandpa not having a vehicle! I wonder if they had any pictures of the car? Do you think grandpa just got in the habit of driving slow because that is as fast as the early cars would go? Do you remember when grandpa got the car stuck in the garage on 5th S. W.? nh

 
At July 14, 2008 at 6:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think because he had to drive all the time for work he just wanted to take his time and drive slow when they were out on their drives. No, I don't remember about him getting stuck in the garage. I don't think they ever had any pictures of that old car--at least not that I can remember.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home