Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Trip to England


The girl in the white Coat was my choir member friend


Back in 1974 I went to England. I went with a church choir that a friend of mine played the organ for. Her husband was not going so she invited me to go as her companion. Of course I had to pay for my trip while the choir members did not. We flew in a 747 Jet plane to London.

The choir sang at several churches in different cities in England and then we were hosted by families of the different churches. We would spend a night with the host families and we learned a lot about the family life of people in England.

We also learned about their eating habits and how they lived their lives. Some of the meals we had were similar to our kind of eating but others were very different than our accustomed meals.

We had a regular roast and potatoes meal at one place, which was my favorite one. Then we had quiche at another place which I did not like at all. We were introduced to a lot of new and different kinds of salads and other dishes--some good, some bad and some just so so.

They had a dish called clotted cream which they considered extra special. It was sort of like whipped cream but was not as fluffy as whipped cream. It was served on berries and fruit and was really delicious.

I longed for a glass of just plain old ice water while I was there. At restaurants you never got ice water at your table. If you asked for water they brought you just water with no ice. Even in cokes and other drinks you got no ice.

The people were nice and friendly but somehow, I was ready to get home long before we actually came home.

I did get to visit West Minister Abby, Bath , where the ancient public baths were, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Prince Albert's Statue, Buckingham Palace, The Old Curiosity Shop and the Tower of London.

I was thrilled to get the chance to go to England but I was not overly impressed with it. I would never want to live there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home