Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Aprons

A more modern apron

















Patterns for fancy aprons


In the years past no sane woman would go into her kitchen without her apron. It was partly to protect her dress from food stains and partly to look neat and clean.


I remember that my mother always wore an apron when she cooked. Some women wore stylish and fancy aprons and others just wore a plain apron to protect their dress.


Once when I was just about three or four, we were visiting a neighbor and the neighbor was into a job of cutting up some meat and had gotten blood on her apron. I looked up at her and I said, bluntly, "Mrs, Seiferman, your apron is dirty." Of course, my mother was embarrassed to pieces. She was telling me that I should not say such a thing. Mrs. Seiferman said, "Mrs. Caffee, that is the truth-- my apron is dirty." They say, out of the mouths of babes....


I made a number of aprons when I was filling my hope chest but by the time I got married aprons were becoming a thing of the past and I really never wore them much at all. But I do remember having fun making them and dreaming of wearing them in my future.


Sometimes a woman would just tie a dish towel around her waist to protect her dress and not bother with a fancy apron.


Now with clothes so easy to wash, I never worry about staining my clothes, I just cook without any apron at all! With all of the fantastic washing products there is something to take out any kind of stain!

2 Comments:

At November 12, 2008 at 9:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not arrange the writing on there the way they have it. I sure would like to change it but those pictures are tricky

 
At November 13, 2008 at 7:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I picture my grandmother Seiferman who died when I was 8, I picture her in an apron much like the ones in the newspaper ad in your photo. I can just see her puttering around their old house or cooking in that apron. She always had it on!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home