Saturday, November 8, 2008

Cicadas or June Bugs?















These are the skeletons of Cicadas. I found them on Google. I think that the bugs we used to call June bugs were actually Cicadas. We used to see the skeletons all through the summer sticking on tree trunks or on bushes. The shell is what the cicadas are developed in.


Google says they are 17 year locusts though there are many different varieties of them.


I can remember in the hottest part of the summer hearing the sounds they make. It is actually the mating call of the males--the females do not make the sound.


The pictures above are exactly what we used to see when I was a kid. They were all over the place. So a lot of cicadas were out flying around. I can vividly recall the loud sounds they made--it was sort of the background noise of summer in our part of the world.
Cicadas do not bite or sting, are benign to humans and are not considered pests. Many people around the world regularly eat cicadas: the female is prized as it is meatier.

I am not sure that cicadas are in the part of Indiana where I live. I can't remember ever hearing them here or seeing the skeletons around anywhere. But I can sure remember hearing them when I was a kid!

2 Comments:

At November 9, 2008 at 7:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We call those locusts. What we call a June bug is actually a beetle. Here's a link to a picture of one -- http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/bimg139.html

 
At July 1, 2017 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is what comes out of the shells you use to find. It is nothing like a June bug. http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/blogs/dnews-files-2016-04-17-year-cicada-160414-jpg.jpg

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home