Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Christmas Play

Mary Ruth, my sister



When my sister was just a very little girl she was in a Christmas play. This incident happened at the rehearsal for the play. The children were lined up in rows to sing. The directors of the play, were not very smart! They had each child holding a candle--a lit candle.


My sister was in the middle row and someone behind her had his, or her, candle very near her hair. Her hair caught fire and started to burn. One of the adults very quickly grabbed her and smothered out the flames so that she was not burned nor did her hair get very much burned. I think after that they did away with the candles in Christmas plays! I can't imagine that anyone would risk small children with lit candles for any reason. I am sure they learned their lesson from that incident!

1 Comments:

At December 11, 2008 at 1:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even remember that!! Maybe vaguely since you told about it! I must have been pretty young. Probably younger than what I am in that ugly picture you chose to use! I do remember singing Silent Night as a solo at Calvery Methodist church one time at a Christmas program. Maybe that is when it happened. I was scared to death when it was my turn to sing. Mama said my voice was so shakey that it sounded like I could really sing! What a joke!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home