Friday, December 5, 2008

My Life's Goal, Playing the Organ

Organ, piano, zither and accordion.


As far back as I can remember I have wanted to play the organ, well.

I started out getting a piano first. I took a few lessons and learned the basics of piano playing. However, that was not my main goal. I wanted to play the organ.


So a few years after I had the piano, I got my organ. I was in heaven playing it--although badly!


I got a method of playing from the man I bought the organ from. It was called the chord method. You learned a few basic chords and then applied the notes of your songs to those chords. It was a very simple way of playing music. I could do very well when I was alone but for some reason I could never perform well at all when anyone else was around. It isn't much fun to play if someone doesn't hear you! I think my trouble was shyness.


After a few years of playing for just myself I got discouraged and stopped playing much at all. So, now I never touch the organ. My daughters did take lessons for a while, one did very well but got disinterested in the end and didn't want to take lessons anymore. The other daughter was never interested in the first place and I got tired of nagging her to practice and finally let her drop the lessons. I think I was trying to force my ambitions on to my daughters and it didn't work!


So now my organ is sitting there and actually, has something wrong with it and can't be played at all. My life's goal is in shambles.


Several years back I saw an accordion at a garage sale at a cheap price and bought it. I loved it but it was deja vu . I never could play it the way I wanted to. Ditto with a zither. So I have an nonworking organ, an accordion and a zither all sitting somewhere in my home that never get played. Probably the main problem was that I just didn't want to practice enough to get good on them!


I hope that there are musical instruments in Heaven and maybe I can play them when I get there (if I get there!)

1 Comments:

At December 6, 2008 at 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been plugging away at piano lessons for 5 years now, and I still can't play, but I'm not giving up! Maybe by the time I'm 105 I can play a song so that people will be able to recognize it! My teacher did tell me it's much harder for an adult than a child to learn. It takes our brains much longer to process the information.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home