Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Death in our Animal Family

Smokie


I had pictures of my grand cats a few days ago in one of my posts. Sadly, we have had a death in the family since then. Smokie, one of Carla's cats had to be euthanized this week. She was 17 years old. The Vet thinks she had some sort of an infection which got worse and worse. He treated her with antibiotics but it didn't seem to work. He said the normal age for cat's lives is about 14. So Smokie had three more years than that for her life. The Vet said he could give her food and keep her alive but that he recommended euthanizing her, since she was so old. So Carla held Smokie in her arms while the Vet injected her. She said the hardest part was when Smokie just went lifeless and her head fell back. I felt the pain right along with her while she was telling me this.





Carla told me about this today and she could not talk without crying. So I had a good cry with her. My heart has been touched with sadness ever since she told me. It brought back all of the painful memories of when I had to have my dogs euthanized years ago. I missed them terribly for a while but then time healed my hurt and now I just have pleasant memories of them.





Luckily, Carla Has three more cats so she will live on but without Smokie. Time has a way of softening the pain of death but it will be a while before she can get along with out hurting about Smokie.

1 Comments:

At December 14, 2008 at 7:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about Smokie. Our Katie is almost 14, so I know we face something similar in the not too distant future. Our pets really are our family members!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home