Monday, January 5, 2009

Home Made Paste




When I was a kid in elementary school we usually bought a jar of paste for our school supplies, but if we wanted to use paste at home we made it ourselves.

The picture is of Elmer's school paste. I don't think that was the brand of the paste I used when I was in school but it came in a jar like the one pictured.

My Mother would make paste with flour and water. she mixed it up to the right consistency (only she knew that) and we used that to paste whatever we were making. Sometimes I think she used to put some egg white in with it also. But I don't remember why the difference, maybe the egg white made it better.

The paste we bought for school was always kind of a wintergreen flavor and I remember that we would lick our fingers to get rid of the paste from our hands; it tasted good! I think some kids really ate the paste. I never actually ate it but I did lick my fingers sometimes. I am sure it was made with safe ingredients for that reason.

Now, I have a bottle of Elmer's glue and it works for everything. I never lick my fingers anymore so I don't know how Elmer's glue tastes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home