Friday, December 26, 2008

Our New Record Player

This record player looks a lot like our first one.



Back in 1946 we had our name on the list at Sears and Roebuck for a record player. It was right after WWII and it was hard to get almost everything. You had to put your name on a list for anything you wanted. So we did have our name on the list at Sears for the record player. Soon we got a call from Sears and we could get our record player.





It was a chair side model. It had a radio and the record player part had a lid that lifted up and you could put the record on to play. It played the old 78 records and the very first record I bought was White Christmas. That was a new song and it was popular while Ford and I were dating. So it was sort of "Our Song."





I have always loved White Christmas --the song and the movie too--because it was a big thing after the war was over and it just seemed to fit in with my dreams and reminded me of my dreams for a new life.





So that record player was really used a lot. In time it got something wrong and we took it to get fixed. The part was not available to fix it so we had to ditch it. But it was not too long before we got a new record player that would play 78,and 45 RPM records. Now I have one that will play records, all sizes, a CD and both kinds of tapes. A record player has always been a very vital part of my life. I love music and I have tons of records, CDs and tapes which hold all of my favorite songs.




White Christmas still is my favorite of all songs. It reminds me of my dating days and a favorite time of my life! That record player made it possible for me to hear that song whenever I wanted to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home