Monday, December 29, 2008

Mama's Gloom and Doom!























I remember that my mother did something when I was a kid that I would never have done to my kids when they were little. She probably was having a bad day or something was brothering her when she said this: She would suddenly say to us kids, or to me if I happened to be the one right there, "I just feel like something is going to happen today." That would really tense me up and frighten me. I would say to her, "What do you mean, what is going to happen?" Then she would answer back, "Oh, I don't know what, I just feel like something is going to happen." Maybe before she said this I felt like the Smiley Face above but after wards I felt like the Scream in the other picture.


That would really terrify me. I believed in her and if she thought something was going to happen, then it probably would.

Of course after a few years of hearing that and then seeing that nothing ever really did happen I began to lose some of my anxiety. But she did put me through some uneasy days waiting to see what might befall us. I have always tried to make my children feel comfortable and would never say something to make them think we might have some big tragedy


I think it was her way of using scare tactics to make us uneasy. She one time told me that I should think about becoming a Christian because I might not have another chance to become one if I didn't do it then. So it made me sit up and take notice. I began to think that I might get killed on the way to where I was going. It was just an uncomfortable thing to have hanging over my head. I am sure she didn't realize just how her remarks made us feel.

In her later years I don't remember her saying things like that. Maybe her life eased up some and she didn't feel the same way she did back in those days. Whatever, I loved my Mom and I am sure she was doing what she felt was the right thing by us. But I did spend a few days thinking every move might be my last one!












1 Comments:

At December 29, 2008 at 10:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That horrible picture upsets me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home