Friday, April 10, 2009

Daddy in the Garden



My Dad always had a garden every year. My mother helped him also but he did most of the work.


They always planted tomatoes, squash, okra, black eyed peas, onions, radishes, lettuce, green beans, corn, and sometimes potatoes and probably some other things that I have forgotten about.


We didn't have a plow or tiller so he had to spade up the whole thing with just a spade. It was a lot of work but he liked doing it. It was quite a large garden.


I have a small garden in comparison to his and I have a tiller. The last two or three years my grandson, Brett, has tilled it for me. I have cut my plantings down to tomatoes, onions and squash. I have to fight bugs and rabbits to save my plants. I would love green beans but the bugs love them better than I do! So I have cut them out.


I love to look at this picture of my Dad and remember how he loved to work in the garden. If you look closely you can see his pipe hanging out one side of his mouth--probably the only thing he loved better than working in the garden!

1 Comments:

At April 10, 2009 at 9:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture...they did enjoy their garden! I always loved it in the summer when Grandma's entire supper was made from fresh veggies from the garden. If you have a problem with slugs, our French visitor had a tip. He said if you place a shallow dish with beer in it, the slugs will be drawn to it and drown! I guess they at least die happy!nh

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home