Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cushaws

























Pictured above are two kind of cushaws. They are both a type of squash.

My Uncle Emerson owned a farm in Roxton, Texas. He grew all kind of vegetables on his farm. Every summer he would bring my mother some of his different kinds of vegetables. Cushaws were one thing he used to bring a lot.

My Mother would make things of them all different ways. Sometimes she would make pies, sometimes just bake them in the oven and sometimes she just cooked them in boiling water and put sugar and cinnamon on them. Any way she cooked them they were delicious. I have not had a bite of cushaw for many, many years. I really liked them and I would love to have some right now. The pies she made were similar to pumpkin pies.

I never see them in the grocery stores now. If I did I would buy one. I can never expect one from Uncle Emerson because he has been dead for many years. Maybe he is growing cushaws in God's gardens now!

1 Comments:

At April 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma planted cushaws one year. She had cushaws running out her ears! We ate them every way imaginable. I wonder why more farmers don't grow them? You never see them at the farmers' markets.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home