Monday, April 6, 2009

TV has Ruined my Reading!







I used to be an avid reader. You know why I am not anymore? Because of TV. I used to have a book going all of the time. Now I just manage to get the newspaper read and the rest of the time I spend watching TV.



The certificate above was one I earned back when I was in grade school. To get the certificate I had to read 30 books and make a report to the librarian, Mrs. Fells. I remember Mrs. Fells as if I saw her yesterday. I spent a lot of time in the library because I loved books.



Now, I still like to read but it seems that TV just has replaced books for me. I sometimes wish that the TV would go on the blink and I could read in its place.



However, if my TV went out I suppose I would be tearing my hair out trying to get it repaired. It really is a shame that TV has done that to so many people. The saddest part is that it has done that for kids also. I got my education out of my reading before TV came along but nowadays kids have let TV replace their reading before they are fully educated.

So many of the things that kids watch are not really educational and a lot of it is a bad influence on children.


I have no solution to the problem. But a lot of it is really the responsibility of the parents to limit the amount of TV their child watches and encourage reading to them.

1 Comments:

At April 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get my reading done on the treadmill. I go through about a book a week that way. I'm reading through the mystery shelves from the public library. I've read all the authors whose names begin with "A" and I'm about halfway through the "B"'s.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home