Thursday, April 9, 2009

Flat Irons












Many years ago people used these kinds of irons to iron their clothes. I have used them just a couple of times but not more than that. Because electric irons came along in the twenties and thirties.



You had to put them on a stove and let them get hot and then iron your clothes with them. You could only iron for a very few minutes before they got cooled down and you had to switch to another iron. Ideally, you needed about three irons to keep your ironing going without waiting for an iron to heat.


I happen to have two of the irons. I never used the ones in the picture for ironing but I bought them to use as book ends. They weigh about six pounds each. Can you imagine doing a whole ironing with six pound irons in your hand? Your arm ached after a little while. However, many women did have to use them because they had no other choice. Winter or summer , no matter how hot, if you wanted to iron you had to build a fire in your kitchen stove and set those irons on there to get hot!


Along about in the twenties and thirties someone invented an electric iron--God bless him!


I could probably sell my irons for a good price. I checked on Google and there were quite a few listed on there from $25 to $100.


However, I am going to keep mine. I like looking at them and remembering the olden days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home