Monday, March 30, 2009

My Dad Was Hip!

During WWII my Dad worked at the post office at Camp Maxey. That was the army camp near Paris, Texas. He became interested in letters at that time and he wrote me a couple of them from Camp Maxey. I lived in Indiana then.

I regret that I did not hang on to those letters. Somehow over time I lost track of them.

I was surprised to see that when he wrote me he was using circles over the i's to dot them. I never did that but a lot of people did. I don't know what possessed him to do that--maybe he noticed it on some of the letters he processed in the mail. Anyway, that was something that mostly young kids did.

My daughter is a teacher and she said a lot of the young girls put heart shaped dots over the i's in their writing.

When I saw my Dad's writing I felt as if he were down to my generation since he was doing a thing that sort of belonged to my generation.

I don't know how long he kept that practice up because I never got any more letters after that. My Dad wrote very few letters in his lifetime!

As I said before, I really wish I had those letters. It kind of tied him to my generation at that time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home