Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sugarless Pound Cake



Pound Cake















I made a cake last night. I used a recipe that I saw in my newspaper yesterday. Actually, it was just a regular pound cake but as it turned out, It became a sugarless pound cake.


I had the recipe right there on the counter and I followed it by the letter. Then as I was finished I once more went over the recipe ingredient by ingredient and was sure I had it right--wrong--somehow I bypassed the sugar that was listed at the top.


I used up three eggs, a half cup of sour cream, a half cup of oil and several other things that I really didn't want to waste. I put the cake in the oven for 50 minutes and sat with my mouth watering for a piece of my cake.


Finally, it was done and I removed it from the oven. I patiently waited for it to cool. I really thought something was not right about the cake. It was bumpy on the top and just didn't seem like a real pound cake.


With my first bite, I knew exactly what was wrong! It had no sugar in it. It tasted kind of like bread--not really good bread--but bread.


I felt like a fool. I must be getting senile! If I can't follow a recipe right down the list of ingredients then I have a problem.


As it ended up, My sister gave me an idea. She said slice it and make cinnamon toast. So I did that. I am so frugal that I am determined not to waste that cake. So for the next few mornings I will have cinnamon toast for breakfast!

1 Comments:

At April 26, 2009 at 6:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're getting senile, so am I -- can't tell you how many times I've messed up a recipe with it right in front of me. I think if you cook very much, it's bound to happen occasionally.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home