Thursday, August 13, 2009

Candy Cigarettes




Candy cigarettes
Many years ago when I was just a kid we could buy candy cigarettes. They came in a package that looked like real cigarettes. As I remember most of them had a wintergreen flavor--much like lifesavers. I loved them.


We would pretend we were smoking them until they got so sticky and then we ate them. Then we would get out a fresh one--much like real smokers do.


I am shocked as I remember that my mother would allow us to pretend we were smoking. She was so firmly against smoking, at least for women, that I can't imagine why she let us do that. My Dad smoked a pipe and cigars all of my life and she never seemed to think anything of that. But if a woman smoked, she was doomed for Hell! Anyway, she never said anything about us pretending we smoked. I guess she ignored that we were pretending to smoke and just knew it was candy that we ate in the end!


I don't know if candy cigarettes are still on the market or not. I assume they must be because I saw them on Google. I think that they should be outlawed because they may encourage kids to smoke. But they are a real taste treat!

2 Comments:

At August 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must confess, I loved them too! I don't think it encouraged people to smoke because I loved the candy cigarettes but I've NEVER had the urge to smoke! nh

 
At August 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the candy cigarettes, too. Grandma's attitude reminds me of what Joe McCollum used to say when he saw a woman smoking... "Look at that cigarette-sucking Jezebel!" Joe's been gone a long time now, but Gene will still laugh and say, "Look at that cigarette-sucking Jezebel" when we see a woman smoking a cigarette.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home