Monday, August 10, 2009

Flu Epidemic of 1918




















Grandpa Caffee


The picture is of my Grandpa Caffee and of his grave along with my Grandma Caffee's grave.


With all of the talk about this new flu epidemic it reminds me of my Grandpa Caffee. My grandpa died in 1919 during the Spanish flu epidemic. He was only 44 years old. He died from the flu. Fifty million people died during that epidemic. I was surprised to note that He died on my Grandma's birthday. Ford died on my birthday and Our Dad died on Mary Ruth's birthday.


The picture above is the only picture I have of him. There may have been other pictures but I never saw them.


Somehow, all through the years I never asked my Dad what he called his dad. He called his Mother Mama so I assume that he called his Dad Daddy.


My Dad was only 19 when his dad died. And of course, I never saw my grandpa at all nor did my mother ever see him.


If My grandpa was anything like my Dad then he was a great man, because my Dad was a great man. I miss my Dad all the time. even though he has been gone many years.


I am looking forward to seeing them both in the afterlife!

1 Comments:

At August 10, 2009 at 2:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In doing some research for our church anniversary several years ago, I discovered that local pastors preached as many as eight funerals a day each during the height of the epidemic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home