Monday, August 3, 2009

Cigar Rings

















Back when I was just a little kid Daddy used to buy cigars once in a while. Usually he would buy a cigar and a newspaper on the weekend. That was his one vice, if you could call it that.


Us kids always had a fight over who got the ring off the cigar. I never actually saved them but we would play with them for a while until they got torn or too messed up to play with any more. I guess I did save them for a while but I never had enough for a collection.


They were fun to play with. I think some people actually had large collections of them. Daddy didn't buy enough cigars for us to get many for a collection. However if we had saved them they might be worth something by now. Back then we never thought of collections or anything except just having fun for a short time. So the rings got messed up and torn and that was then end of them.


Some of the rings were really very pretty. The colors were bright and they usually had some gold tones on them and a brand name. I am sure that some of them would be a collectors item if we still had them. But collectors items were the last thing on our minds when we played back then!

1 Comments:

At August 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was watching Antiques Roadshow one night, and a lady had a cigar silk quilt on there. The cigar vendor would get the cigars in bundles wrapped with a silk ribbon. Ladies would save those ribbons and make quilts out of them. This quilt was very colorful, and I don't remember its worth, but it was a lot more than a few cigars!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home