Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Junk Mail

























I can see a big reduction in the amount of junk mail I receive now compared to what I used to get.


I think the catalog companies finally believe that I am not going to order anything from them--also the hearing aid companies plus all of the other places that send out advertisements for their product, because I don't get nearly as much junk mail as in the past.


I have noticed that I get fewer ads now than before. The one company that I can't believe sends as many ads as they do is Verizon. I get an ad almost every day from them and I already have their services. My TV, computer and phone are with Verizon and I still get ads from them regularly. You would think they would check to see who already has their service and not send ads to them.


I am sure I help pay for their advertising by paying higher prices for their service. But what can a person do? I surely don't know. I saw on Google that you can have your name placed on the do not call list and it will take care of some junk mail. But why do we have to inconvenience ourselves to call anyone? I don't know the answer.


However, I think the postage rates are helping a lot. It doesn't pay companies to spend all of that advertising money at the high cost they have to pay.

Anyway, I continue to have a garbage bag half filled with the catalogs and junk mail I receive every day.



I read on Google that some 99 million trees and 40+ billion gallons of water are used to produce each year's crop of catalogs and come-ons. About half are trashed without even being opened. What a waste!


Maybe someday someone will figure out a way to cut it out!


1 Comments:

At August 19, 2009 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be interesting to save all your junk mail for one year and see how much there was? I bet we would be amazed. The upside is, the post office should be making a fortune!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home