Friday, August 14, 2009

The Lonely Train Trip

Me at about three years old (Wasn't I fat? Still am!)



Once when I was about three or so my Dad was out of work. He and my mother and I went to Elk City, Oklahoma and to Lubbock, Texas so he could look for a job. We rode the train out there. He did look for work but was unsuccessful so we had to go back to Texas. We rode the train back. For some reason, I cannot remember the train ride out there but I distinctly remember the train ride home.


My mother and I were on the train and my Dad was going to hitch hike home to save money. As we sat waiting for the train to leave my Dad was standing by the window talking to us. There was ice frozen on the ledge of the train window and I remember my Dad scraping ice off the ledge and eating it. He gave me a bite or two.



Then the train pulled away and I can see to this day my Dad standing there waving goodbye to us as we left.



When we got back to Paris, I think my Dad then got a job with the Highway Department--thanks to my Mom for crying on the shoulder of a judge she knew. My Dad went to work for the State Highway Department and worked there for many years.



If he had been successful getting a job out west I might have had a whole different life. Who knows?

3 Comments:

At August 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that picture is about the sweetest looking kid I ever saw!

 
At August 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM , Anonymous kyra lafain said...

I am curious as to who had this thought?

 
At August 15, 2009 at 9:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deborah did.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home