Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Uninvited Guests











A dirt dauber



The nest of a dirt dauber Over my front door

Every late summer or early fall I have a problem with dirt daubers, also called mud daubers. These are sort of like wasps except that they don't sting like wasps do. They love the dark brown wood trim on my house. I try to keep them away as much as I can, but they are persistent. Right now I have a nest of them right above my front door. The picture shows one big nest and another one that looks as if it was not finished. I am going to knock them down as soon as I do this post. I have left the nest up for one reason--I wanted to get a picture of it before I took it down.


These insects are not very aggressive as wasps are. I have never been stung by them--I don't think they sting at all-- But the annoying mud spots, their nests, are very annoying. I have to use a brush and water to get the mud off. I can scrape the mud off but the stain is still there until I use a brush and water to remove it.


I like my dark brown wood trim but it seems to be very inviting to the daubers. Also, the nest there now is protected by my porch from wind and rain which the daubers like. The old saying, guests and fish stink after three days, is certainly true for these uninvited guests of mine!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home