Saturday, October 10, 2009

EGGS--BROWN OR WHITE?















Why are some eggs brown and some eggs white? It's a matter of genes. Some breeds of hen, such as the Rhode Island Red, lay brown eggs, while others like the White Leghorn, lay white eggs. Brown or white, there is no difference in taste, nutritional value , cost or cooking performance.


Another source says that the chicken's earlobes--yes, they do have earlobes--determine the color of the egg. Chickens with white earlobes, usually have brown or red feathers and lay brown eggs; chickens with red earlobes usually have white feathers and lay white eggs. But that is not always so. Sometimes the opposite is true.


So there you have it. The difference between white and brown eggs is purely cosmetic; it's just a matter of a baby taking after its mom.


I do see some brown eggs in my grocery but not many. Most of the eggs are white. That is what I buy, not because I think there is a difference but because that is what is always available.




2 Comments:

At October 10, 2009 at 1:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I alternate between brown and white eggs. If the eggs I have in my fridge are white, I buy brown. That way, I know which eggs are older and use them first.

 
At October 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never have thought of that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home